Destination ARTS! Schedule of Events – September 27 – 29
More Art! More Music! More Events!
Destination ARTS! in Waynesboro, PA continues September 27 – 29 with an incredible group of musicians and entertainers, including “Island Fusion” with Nancy and Jody Messich, former WASHS Band Director Pat McNamee (clarinet) and Erin Regan (piano), folk and classical music from Ruth (cello and autoharp) and Linden (hammered dulcimer) Showalter, showtunes from singer Claire Martin, and classical piano from Daniel Lawson. There will be two author readings – a children’s book with Mary Alice Baumgartner, and “The Royers of Renfrew” with Marie and Maxine Beck. There will be artist demonstrations from Michael McIntyre, Marjorie Tressler, and Donna Bingaman, and continuation of our children’s Scavenger Hunt for “Destination ARTS! Detectives”.
NEW this weekend – the first ever Destination ARTS! Magic Show, featuring the Magic of David Wayne and Balloons by Miss Penelope!
David Wayne Bowers has been performing magic for the past 17 years. He has appeared at the Children’s Day Festival at the World Bank in Washington DC, The Festival of Magic at the Maryland Theater, Holiday Abracadabra at the Apollo Theater, Funfest at the Totem Pole Playhouse, Kidfest at the Shriner’s Auditorium in Harrisburg, and Give Kids the World Village in Orlando, Florida. He is currently serving as The National First Vice President of The Society of American Magicians. “Miss Penelope” (Judy Bowers) is a retired WASD teacher with 35 years of experience working with children. In addition to assisting with the magic show, “Miss Penelope” will be creating balloon animals for the children.
An initiative of the non-profit Arts Alliance of Greater Waynesboro (AAGW), Destination ARTS! features over 1,000 pieces of art for sale in seven art galleries and eight storefront windows within a two-block radius on Main Street in Waynesboro. Over 100 artists and artisans are represented, and the galleries feature paintings, sculpture, jewelry, ceramics, photography, and fiber arts.
As visitors walk down Main Street, they will encounter illustrious artists who are visiting from the past, including the Dutch master Vincent van Gogh and French Impressionist artists Mary Cassatt and Berthe Morisot, all recreated on mannequins by area artists. In addition, new artist demonstrations and musical performances are often added at the last minute.
The event is open every Friday 5–8 pm, Saturday 11 am– 6 pm, and Sunday 12 pm– 4 pm through October 27. All activities are open to the public and free of charge. More information is available at www.artsalliancegw.org or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The current schedule of events for the September 27 – 29 weekend is below. Note that new performers and artists are constantly being scheduled, so check our website or Facebook page for the latest information:
Destination ARTS! Music & Entertainment Schedule
- Ongoing all weekend – Destination ARTS! Scavenger Hunt – special scavenger scrolls available in each of the seven galleries
Friday, September 27
- 5 -8 pm – “Island Fusion” – Nancy Messich (vocals, steel drum, percussion) and Jody Messich (vocals, keyboards, and guitar) – a combination of musical styles including Jimmy Buffet and standards plus traditional island tunes with a real steel drum – Center Square
- 5 – 8 pm – Patrick McNamee (clarinet) and Erin Regan (piano) – 50 West Main St.
- 5:30 – 7:30 pm – Michael McIntyre – POTTERY DEMONSTRATION – 22 West Main St. (www.firerobinfarm.com)
Michael McIntyre at work
- 6 – 9 pm – Tommy Lancaster (vocals and guitar) – Christine’s Cafe
- 7 – 10 pm – “Old Tyme Jam” – BLUEGRASS – Beck & Benedict Hardware Music Theatre – 118 Walnut St.- $4
Saturday, September 28
- 11 am – 12 pm – Mary Alice Baumgardner – CHILDREN’S PROGRAM – the author will read from her latest children’s book, No Excuses for the Skunk! Through colorful illustrations and a whimsical cast of animal characters, this delightful allegory teaches children about being unique. Creating animal masks, the craft activity, is best suited for children 6-10, but older children are also welcome to participate- 37 East Main St.
Mary Alice Baumgardner
- 11 am – 2:30 pm – Marjorie Tressler – ARTIST DEMONSTRATION – 37 East Main St. (www.studioonefineart.com)
- 11 – 2:30 pm – Donna Bingaman – ARTIST DEMONSTRATION – 37 West Main St. (portraitsbyoilartistdonnabingaman.com)
- 2 – 4 pm – Ruth (cello and autoharp) and Linden (hammered dulcimer) Showalter – FOLK & CLASSICAL – 50 West Main St. Ruth and Linden Showalter –folk music on hammered dulcimer and autoharp, classical cello – 50 West Main
- 4 – 6 pm – Daniel Lawson – CLASSICAL PIANO – Center Square
- 6 – 9 pm – “Open Mic Night” – Christine’s Café
Sunday, September 29
- 1 – 4 pm – Authors Marie and Maxine Beck will read excerpts and answer questions about their historical fiction books set in Waynesboro, The Royers of Renfrew – A Family Tapestry, Volume 1, Threads of Change, Volume 2, and The Fabric of Life, Volume 3 – 30 West Main St.
Marie and Maxine Beck
- 2 – 3:00 pm – Balloons by Miss Penelope – Balloon animals created for children – Center Square
Balloons by Miss Penelope
- 3 – 4 pm – The Magic of David Wayne – Center Square
The Magic of David Wayne
- 2 – 4 pm – Claire Martin – SHOWTUNES – 50 West Main
The Destination ARTS! Gallery locations and themes are:
- 50 West Main St. – “Small Town Hosts Big City Art” – Paintings by our most prominent and metropolitan artists
- 37 West Main St. – Furniture Market Showroom – “Homegrown Art & More…” – Art by artists who grew up in the Waynesboro area plus other special exhibits
- 32 West Main St. – “A Taste of the Arts” – Sampling of Gallery Arts, note cards and prints, and all sales transactions
- 30 West Main St. – “Palette to Canvas” – Paintings of all genres
- 22 West Main St. – “Through the Lens and Of The Earth” – Photography, digital arts, pottery and fiber arts
- 2 East Main St. – “Scenes, Shapes, and Surprises” – Paintings, sculptures, and the unexpected
- 13 South Church St. – Special Features of the Ceramic Arts Center – Diverse pottery and more, in Waynesboro’s newest arts center
In addition, storefront art displays are presented in both existing businesses and other vacant buildings, including: 30 East Main St., 33 East Main St., 37 East Main St., 43 East Main St., 81 West Main St. (inside Christine’s Café), 96 West Main St., and 105 West Main St.
For more information about Destination ARTS! visit www.artsalliancegw.org or email email@example.com