The final weekend of the 15 week initiative Destination ARTS! will be October 25 – 27, and it promises to be a weekend to remember! This will be the last chance to view all seven art galleries and seven storefront windows before they are dismantled on October 28. The weekend’s entertainment will feature bluegrass and classic country from Brad Munn, folk from “Mountain Air”, jazz from Billie Holiday Award winner Kerensa Gray, classical from pianist Daniel Lawson, our first ever dance demonstration from A&B Dance Dimensions students, jazz from clarinetist Patrick McNamee, classical from cellist Ruth Showalter, and the student group “The Kat Carlson Band”.
In addition, there will be “Living Art,” where local artists will paint Kay Yaukey portraying John Philip Sargent’s painting of “Madame X,” as well as painting demonstrations by Marjorie Tressler and Donna Bingaman.
“Destination ARTS! Detectives” will have a final chance to participate in our children’s Scavenger Hunt. Grand prize winners will be drawn on October 27 at 2 pm!
Destination ARTS! currently features over 1,000 pieces of art for sale in seven art galleries and seven storefront windows within a two-block radius on Main Street in Waynesboro. The galleries feature paintings, sculpture, jewelry, ceramics, photography, and fiber arts.
“By any standards, Destination ARTS! has been a great success,” notes event chair Andrew Sussman. “Over the past 15 weeks we have sold more than $20,000 worth of art, been visited by people from 25 states and eight countries, and exhibited over 1,600 pieces of art from over 120 artists and artisans. Several buildings have been rented on Main Street, and several new exciting arts related ventures are starting and will be announced next week!”
An initiative of the non-profit Arts Alliance of Greater Waynesboro, Destination ARTS! was conceived as an attempt to revitalize a small town and stimulate economic development. In a short six week period, seven vacant buildings were simultaneously converted into full-fledged, curated art galleries, along with eight storefront displays, filled with art from some of the most highly respected artists in the Mid-Atlantic States. During the event the streets have also been filled with a wide variety of live music, children’s activities, art demonstrations, a magician, a drum circle, “living art”, book readings, dance, and other activities. The event has united landlords, artists and arts organizations, businesses, and the general public in a single goal – to bring vibrancy back to Main Street, and to share enthusiasm for the natural beauty, history, and talent of the area with others.
Destination ARTS! is open Friday 5–8 pm, Saturday 11 am– 6 pm, and Sunday 12 pm– 4 pm. All activities are open to the public and free of charge. More information is available at www.artsalliancegw.org or by emailing email@example.com.
The current schedule of events for the October 18 – 20 weekend is below. Note that new performers and artists are constantly being scheduled, so check our website or Facebook page for the latest information:
Friday, October 25
· 6 – 9 pm – Tommy Lancaster – CLASSIC & FOLK ROCK – Christine’s Cafe
· 7 – 10 pm – “Old Tyme Jam” – BLUEGRASS – Beck & Benedict Hardware Music Theatre – 118 Walnut St.- $4
· 11:30 am – 2:30 pm – Donna Bingaman – PAINTING DEMONSTRATION – 37 West Main St. (www.studioonefineart.com)
· 1 – 3 pm – “Madame X” – Kay Yaukey brings John Singer Sargent’s portrait to life – LIVING ART – 2 East Main Street
· 1 – 4 pm – “Mountain Air” – Bobbi Smith (guitar & vocals), Bob Murphy (upright bass), Lisa Donohoe (mandolin & vocals) – ACOUSTIC CONTEMPORARY FOLK & POP COUNTRY – Center Square
. 1 – 3 pm – Ruth Showalter (cello) – CLASSICAL – 50 West Main St.
· 4 – 6 pm – Patrick McNamee (clarinet) – JAZZ – 50 West Main St.
· 12:15 – 12:30 pm – A&B Dance Dimensions Students – DANCE DEMONSTRATION – Center Square
· 1 pm – 4 pm – Marjorie Tressler – PAINTING DEMONSTRATION – 50 West Main St. (www.studioonefineart.com)
· 1 – 2 pm – The Kat Carlson Band: Trez Music Band in Residence – STUDENT JAZZ GROUP – Center Square
· 2 – 4 pm – Kerensa Gray (vocals) and Beth Trez (piano) – JAZZ – Center Square (www.kerensagray.com ) Kerensa Gray is winner of the 20th Annual Billie Holiday Vocal Competition
· 2 – 4 pm – Daniel Lawson – CLASSICAL PIANO – 50 West Main
The Destination ARTS! Gallery locations and themes are:
· 50 West Main St. – “Small Town Hosts Big City Art” – Paintings by our most prominent and metropolitan artists
· 37 West Main St. – Furniture Market Showroom – “Homegrown Art & More…” – Art by artists who grew up in the Waynesboro area plus other special exhibits
· 32 West Main St. – “A Taste of the Arts” – Sampling of Gallery Arts, note cards and prints, and all sales transactions
· 30 West Main St. – “Palette to Canvas” – Paintings of all genres
· 22 West Main St. – “Through the Lens and Of The Earth” – Photography, digital arts, pottery and fiber arts
· 2 East Main St. – “Scenes, Shapes, and Surprises” – Paintings, sculptures, and the unexpected
· 13 South Church St. – Special Features of the Ceramic Arts Center – Diverse pottery and more, in Waynesboro’s newest arts center
In addition, storefront art displays are presented in both existing businesses and other vacant buildings, including: 30 East Main St., 33 East Main St., 37 East Main St., 43 East Main St., 81 West Main St. (inside Christine’s Café), 96 West Main St., and 105 West Main St.