Destination ARTS! in Waynesboro, PA approaches the second to last weekend on October 18 – 20! There is still time to view all seven art galleries before they are dismantled on October 28. This weekend’s music will feature blues and classic rock from Mitch Morrill and Scott Matlock, bluegrass “acoustic goodness” from “Strung Tight”, contemporary sounds from “G@g”, showtunes and pop songs from Claire Martin, and jazz from the flute-guitar duo of Tim Gotwald and Dan Dropkin.
New this weekend – “Origami – the Art of Japanese Paper Folding!” Join retired teacher Marge Kiersz for two stories about the magic of origami and then fold your own origami creations. Instructions for beginners; paper and books for those with more experience. All ages are welcome!
In addition, Marjorie Tressler will be demonstrating painting techniques, and “Desination ARTS! Detectives” will have another chance to participate in our Children’s Scavenger Hunt. (Grand prize winners to be drawn on October 27!)
Destination ARTS! features over 1,000 pieces of art for sale in seven art galleries and eight storefront windows within a two-block radius on Main Street in Waynesboro. Over 100 artists and artisans are represented, and the galleries feature paintings, sculpture, jewelry, ceramics, photography, and fiber arts.
As visitors walk down Main Street, they will encounter illustrious artists who are visiting from the past, including the Dutch master Vincent van Gogh and French Impressionist artists Mary Cassatt and Berthe Morisot, all recreated on mannequins by area artists. In addition, new artist demonstrations and musical performances are often added at the last minute.
The event is open every Friday 5–8 pm, Saturday 11 am– 6 pm, and Sunday 12 pm– 4 pm through October 27. All activities are open to the public and free of charge. More information is available at www.artsalliancegw.org or by emailing email@example.com.
The current schedule of events for the October 18 – 20 weekend is below. Note that new performers and artists are constantly being scheduled, so check our website or Facebook page for the latest information:
Destination ARTS! Music & Entertainment Schedule
- Ongoing all weekend – Destination ARTS! Scavenger Hunt – special scavenger scrolls available in each of the seven galleries
Friday, October 18
- 5 -8 pm – “G@g” – CONTEMPORARY SOUNDS – Center Square
- 6 – 9 pm – Tommy Lancaster (vocals and guitar) – Christine’s Cafe
- 7 – 10 pm – “Old Tyme Jam” – BLUEGRASS – Beck & Benedict Hardware Music Theatre – 118 Walnut St.- $4
Saturday, October 19
- 11 am – 6 pm – Marjorie Tressler – PAINTING DEMONSTRATION – 50 West Main St. (www.studioonefineart.com)
- 11 am – 4 pm – Renfrew Pumpkin Festival – food and many activities for all ages, plus bluegrass music from “Mountain Ride” – $8 adults, $4 children – 1010 East Main St.
- 3 – 6 pm – Mitch Morrill and Scott Matlock – BLUES & CLASSIC ROCK – Center Square
- 4 – 6 pm – Tim Gotwald (flutes) and Dan Dropkin (guitar) – JAZZ – 50 West Main St.
- 6 – 9 pm – “Open Mic Night” – Christine’s Café
- 7 pm – Remington Ryde Bluegrass Band & Grassy Ridge Bluegrass Band – Beck & Benedict Hardware Music Theater, 118 Walnut St – $14
Sunday, October 20
- 2 – 3 pm – Origami – 37 East Main (two doors down from the library) – The Art of Japanese Paper Folding – Join retired teacher Marge Kiersz for two stories about the magic of origami and then fold your own origami creations. Instructions for beginners; paper and books for more experienced origamists. All are welcome!
- 2 – 4 pm – “Strung Tight” with Eric Avey (vocals, guitar, loop pedal, percussion, harmonica) and Kate Avey (vocals, bass) – ACOUSTIC GOODNESS – Center Square
- 2 – 4 pm – Claire Martin – POP & SHOWTUNES – 50 West Main St.
The Destination ARTS! Gallery locations and themes are:
- 50 West Main St. – “Small Town Hosts Big City Art” – Paintings by our most prominent and metropolitan artists
- 37 West Main St. – Furniture Market Showroom – “Homegrown Art & More…” – Art by artists who grew up in the Waynesboro area plus other special exhibits
- 32 West Main St. – “A Taste of the Arts” – Sampling of Gallery Arts, note cards and prints, and all sales transactions
- 30 West Main St. – “Palette to Canvas” – Paintings of all genres
- 22 West Main St. – “Through the Lens and Of The Earth” – Photography, digital arts, pottery and fiber arts
- 2 East Main St. – “Scenes, Shapes, and Surprises” – Paintings, sculptures, and the unexpected
- 13 South Church St. – Special Features of the Ceramic Arts Center – Diverse pottery and more, in Waynesboro’s newest arts center
In addition, storefront art displays are presented in both existing businesses and other vacant buildings, including: 30 East Main St., 33 East Main St., 37 East Main St., 43 East Main St., 81 West Main St. (inside Christine’s Café), 96 West Main St., and 105 West Main St.