More Art! More Music! More Events!
…and Market Day!
Destination ARTS! in Waynesboro, PA moves into its final month with a special weekend celebration October 4 – 6. This is the weekend of Market Day in Waynesboro, and the Destination ARTS! Galleries will open early at 9:00 am on Saturday (while still closing at our normal time of 6 pm). Main Street is closed to traffic and filled with music, sidewalk sales, craft and food vendors, a chili “cook off”, and other activities.
But of course Destination ARTS! is open all weekend, with special music performances on Friday and Sunday featuring the Indie Folk of “The Queen Bees” (Nicola Sussman and Gabrielle Sanfilippo) and the contemporary sounds of “[email protected]” (Gillian Hollen and Garrett Smith).
NEW this week – a special “make and take” day with local artist Kay Ackerman who will help you design a necklace using colorful prints, glass tiles, and O Rings (note – there will be a $25 charge for this service).
There will also be artist demonstrations from Shirley Snyder, Marjorie Tressler, and Donna Bingaman, and continuation of our children’s Scavenger Hunt for “Destination ARTS! Detectives”.
An initiative of the non-profit Arts Alliance of Greater Waynesboro (AAGW), Destination ARTS! features over 1,000 pieces of art for sale in seven art galleries and eight storefront windows within a two-block radius on Main Street in Waynesboro. Over 100 artists and artisans are represented, and the galleries feature paintings, sculpture, jewelry, ceramics, photography, and fiber arts. All art is for sale.
As visitors walk down Main Street, they will encounter illustrious artists who are visiting from the past, including the Dutch master Vincent van Gogh and French Impressionist artists Mary Cassatt and Berthe Morisot, all recreated on mannequins by area artists. In addition, new artist demonstrations and musical performances are often added at the last minute.
The event is open every Friday 5–8 pm, Saturday 11 am– 6 pm, and Sunday 12 pm– 4 pm through October 27. All activities are open to the public and free of charge. More information is available at www.artsalliancegw.org or by emailing [email protected]
The current schedule of events for the October 4 – 6 weekend is below. Note that new performers and artists are constantly being scheduled, so check our website or Facebook page for the latest information:
Destination ARTS! Music & Entertainment Schedule
Ongoing all weekend –
Destination ARTS! Scavenger Hunt –
special scavenger hunt scrolls available in each of the seven galleries
Friday, October 4
- 6 -8 pm – “The Queen Bees” – Nicola Sussman (vocals and ukulele) and Gabrielle Sanfilippo (vocals, guitar, violin) – INDIE FOLK – Center Square
- 6 – 9 pm – Tommy Lancaster (vocals and guitar) – Christine’s Cafe
- 7 – 10 pm – “Old Tyme Jam” – BLUEGRASS – Beck & Benedict Hardware Music Theatre – 118 Walnut St.- $4
Saturday, October 5 – MARKET DAY!
Destination ARTS! Galleries will be open from 9 am – 6 pm. Main Street will be closed to traffic, and craft and food vendors and many other activities are scheduled.
- 9 am – 5 pm – Kay Ackerman – MAKE AND TAKE BEADWORK/GLASS TILE AND O RING JEWELRY – Come join local bead work artist Kay Ackerman in designing a necklace using colorful prints, glass tiles, and O Rings – 22 West Main St. – $25 charge
- 10 am – 4 pm – Shirley Snyder – BASKETWEAVING DEMONSTRATION – 22 West Main St.
- 11 – 2:30 pm – Donna Bingaman – PAINTING DEMONSTRATION – 37 West Main St. (portraitsbyoilartistdonnabingaman.com)
Market Day Music
- 9 – 11 am – Rich Fehle
- 11:30 am – 1:30 pm – Drew Adams Project
- 1:30 – 2 pm – Tri-State Jitterbugs
- 2 – 4 pm – Center of Gravity
Sunday, October 6
- 12 – 4 pm – Marjorie Tressler – PAINTING DEMONSTRATION – 50 West Main St. (www.studioonefineart.com)
- 1 – 3 pm – “[email protected]” – Gillian Hollen (vocals, keyboard and guitar) and Garrett Smith (vocals and keyboard) – CONTEMPORARY SOUNDS – Center Square
- 2 – 4 pm – Daniel Lawson – CLASSICAL PIANO – 50 West Main St.
The Destination ARTS! Gallery locations and themes are:
- 50 West Main St. – “Small Town Hosts Big City Art” – Paintings by our most prominent and metropolitan artists
- 37 West Main St. – Furniture Market Showroom – “Homegrown Art & More…” – Art by artists who grew up in the Waynesboro area plus other special exhibits
- 32 West Main St. – “A Taste of the Arts” – Sampling of Gallery Arts, note cards and prints, and all sales transactions
- 30 West Main St. – “Palette to Canvas” – Paintings of all genres
- 22 West Main St. – “Through the Lens and Of The Earth” – Photography, digital arts, pottery and fiber arts
- 2 East Main St. – “Scenes, Shapes, and Surprises” – Paintings, sculptures, and the unexpected
- 13 South Church St. – Special Features of the Ceramic Arts Center – Diverse pottery and more, in Waynesboro’s newest arts center
In addition, storefront art displays are presented in both existing businesses and other vacant buildings, including: 30 East Main St., 33 East Main St., 37 East Main St., 43 East Main St., 81 West Main St. (inside Christine’s Café), 96 West Main St., and 105 West Main St.
For more information about Destination ARTS! visit www.DestinationARTS.org or email [email protected]